Sample Personal Statements
What type of sample personal statement are you looking for? Click below
My personal mission for the past 18 years has been to help premeds like you write incredibly persuasive personal statements that will give you a big advantage when you apply to medical school. Here’s what I know:
My experience has taught me that sample personal statements inspire your writing and personal statement templates help make the writing process systematic and easy, so I’m giving away free personal statements and templates below.
Learn more about the personal statement samples and how to write a personal statement:
- In “What is a personal statement template?”, you will learn how a template will make the personal statement writing process straight-forward and easy.
- Looking for personal statement samples and examples to give you inspiration? Read Where do I find personal statement examples?
- And if you’re looking for clear instructions on how to write a personal statement for medical school, my article “Applying to medical school? How to write a winning medical school personal statement” has helped demystify the personal statement for thousands of premeds.
Personal Statement Samples Show You How to Do It Right!
Personal Statement Templates Make Writing Easier
Do you know the biggest problem that nearly all premeds have with the personal statement?
“I’m 100% sure I want to be a doctor, but I don’t know how to put my motivation down on paper!”
That is a biggest point of struggle for many premeds. You know that you want to become a doctor — You love, live, and breathe the idea of helping other people and contributing your knowledge of research as a doctor, but it’s so hard to express your motivation in writing.
So you start brainstorming ideas and writing drafts, but you’re not certain if you’re off to the right start because it’s hard to be objective about your own writing. I don’t know about you, but I’m a really harsh critic of my own writing and it makes it hard to move forward with any of my projects!
Sample essays are the most effective way to reassure yourself that you’re on the right track
Sample personal statements written by successful premeds show you how your work compares to others. You want to compare your writing style, your content, and your overall approach to successful essays. That way, you can duplicate their success.
What if you’re totally stuck?
On the other hand, you might not even be in a place where you can compare what you’ve written to sample personal statements because you can’t decide what to write about. It’s pretty common for premeds to get totally stuck when it’s time to sit down and type out a personal statement.
Why do you get stuck? What causes writer's block?
- Uncertainty about the whole process: What to write, how to write it, what works, what doesn’t work, and how to be unique.
- Overwhelm: It’s so hard to get started when you have classes, work, volunteering and all the other things you need to do to apply to med school.
Maybe writing isn’t your strongest skill — and that makes perfect sense — you want to be a doctor, not a writer.
When you can’t think of anything to put down on paper, sample personal statements will show you what kind of ideas work, and how you might express your own ideas.
Get Five Free Personal Statement Samples and Templates