Ashton Kutcher is arguably most well known for either his character in that That ‘70s Show or his marriage to Demi, but how well would he fare as a medical school applicant? Could he get into medical school? I’m about to uncover some little-known facts about Ashton Kutcher and see if (maybe) he could get accepted into a medical program. Let’s get started.
Ashton attended Washington High School in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, during his freshman year before transferring to Creek Amana High School in Homestead, Iowa, where he finished high school. In 1996, he enrolled in the University of Iowa. He was supposed to receive a degree in biochemical engineering, but he dropped out after he accepted a super-high-paying modeling contract. Soon after, his acting career took off.
Because of his background in biochemical engineering, Ashton already has general knowledge of what he needs to study for the MCAT.
- His academics are not bad — despite dropping out of college, his intended major was on track to being med school material.
- The reason he pursued biochemical engineering is to find a cure for his brother’s heart condition. That’d be great to write about in his personal statement!
- He is an accomplished venture capitalist and has invested in several successful tech start-up companies.
- Founded the foundation Thorn which fights human trafficking.
- Successful acting and modeling career that brought him stardom.
So far, Ashton has plenty to show for and his application looks pretty good.
Of course, he also has much to work on.
- No college degree.
- Was convicted of burglary while a senior in high school.
- No prior medical experience or volunteering.
The criminal charge can be overlooked since it was so long ago, but Ashton really needs to hit the books if he wants to go to medical school.
What Ashton Needs to Do
Here’s the run-down.
- Go back to school — maybe back to the University of Iowa for another try at that degree.
- Take the MCAT.
- Do volunteer work in the medical field.
- Apply to medical school.
This is a long-term commitment, but given Ashton’s original interests before he became an actor, he can do this.
What’s the Verdict?
I think if Ashton goes back to school and focuses, he can do it. He already has some of the credentials he needs to get into medical school. And his background knowledge is there, he just needs to put it to the test. Ashton gets a positive review — he’s med school material!