Lady Gaga recently gave an acclaimed performance at the 2015 Oscars — but could she get into medical school? That’s what I want to find out. How would medical school admissions committees look at her application? Would she succeed in the grueling admissions process? Let’s see what she has going for her.
Lady Gaga’s Academics
Gaga (Stefani Germonatta) went to a private all-girls school called Convent of the Sacred Heart in NYC. No info on her high school academics, but she did do well enough to get into NYU, so you could conservatively guess she had at least a 3.8 high school gpa and probably no SAT because of the program she got in to. At only 17, she was accepted early admission into NYU’s Collaborative Arts Project 21(link to project). Two years later, as a sophomore, she dropped out to pursue her music.
One more paragraph about her early music start
Lady Gaga’s Application Strengths
Lady Gaga boasts a pretty strong resume. As a college drop out, she’s not exactly top-tier material for medical school, but she has some other experiences that medical schools would definitely value.
- A strong career with many chart-topping hits which brought her stardom and much fame.
- Various charity projects especially involving LGBT activism.
- Created the “Born This Way” foundation to combat bullying and improve youth self-confidence.
- Actively involved in charities dealing with HIV/AIDs treatment and research.
- Has donated to various relief efforts especially after the 2011 earthquake in Tohoku, Japan (Fukushima).
- Has won plenty of awards including 6 Grammy Awards and has broken 13 music-related Guinness World Records!
So far, her application is a mixed bag — weak academics, no prereqs, no MCAT, but she does have some significant accomplishments.
Lady Gaga’s Application Weaknesses
As expected, she hasn’t taken the MCAT and has no real hands-on hospital training. She also dropped out of college, which doesn’t make for a good GPA.
If Lady Gaga ever wants to apply to medical school, she’s going to need to hit the books and finish her college degree, then take the MCAT.
Suggestions for Lady Gaga
Despite being a star, she won’t get into medical school. She needs to do a few things before she comes a real candidate:
- Enroll herself in a pre-med program — this comes first.
- Study and take the MCAT, and do well.
- Gain experience by volunteering in either a hospital or anywhere that provides care.
By pursuing these three things, she can maybe, hopefully, someday get that MD.
What’s the Verdict?
So far, this is the best candidate I have reviewed. Her application looks amazing, but it doesn’t quite cut it for medical school. Then again, considering all her achievements, that might not be such a big deal.