Can you write a kick-ass personal statement for medical school in only five minutes a day? I have a great method that will get you exactly that.
Before I tell you this awesome writing technique, let me put things into a bit of context:
1. It’s really hard to find the time to sit down and spend four hours writing an amazing essay; most applicants try to do this right before the application deadlines and it’s super stressful.
2. It’s really hard to write an essay that goes beyond the stereotype of “I want to be a doctor because I want to help people.”
OK, so I have a magic solution to the problem.
I’ll give you the solution, but I want you to promise in the comments below that you’ll give this a try. Here’s the deal:
- Get a single subject notebook, spiral book, bluebook or similar
- Put this notebook and a pen next to the sink where you brush your teeth. Move other stuff out of the way if you have to; if your sink is small, get a clipboard.
- Every time you brush your teeth, write a one- to two-sentence answer to the question, “Why do you want to be a doctor?” You cannot repeat the same answer twice.
Do this for three months. In three months, you’ll have around 90 sentences. Ninety reasons why.
OK, now here’s the best part. Get a highlighter; bring your list of reasons and your highlighter to a close friend, someone who knows you really well. Ask him or her to read your reasons, and highlight the ones that are really moving, that really speak to your friend.
Do this three times with three different people — your close friend and classmate, a professor who knows you well, and your on campus premed adviser.
By the end of the process, you’ll have maybe 10 awesome statements of why you want to be a doctor. Arrange those into an outline and you’re well on your way to a great personal statement.
And cleaner, whiter teeth. And a lower dental bill.
Once you have an outline in place, model your essay after personal statements that worked by viewing my sample personal statements and templates.
Write a personal statement that gives you the edge!
A strong personal statement is the finishing touch that will transform your medical school application ordinary to extraordinary. Learn how to write an essay that works.Read More